I was going to post about the editing process for my Chinese Whisperings story. Versions 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, etc. differentiate themselves with increasingly kaleidoscopic overlays of editor Jodi Cleghorn's additions, deletions, comments and notes, then my responding additions, deletions, comments and notes, all in various shades of red & blue. I had screenshots and everything.
Alas, when I composed the blog post, although the text in the screenshots was very blurry, you could just barely make out what it said. So, in the interests of keeping things secret until the book comes out later this year, no screenshots.
However, I will say that my first draft was 5000 words, which I cut to 4800, then to 4300. That's what I sent to Jodi. Notwithstanding the fact that she felt my text was "tight" and the dialogue "mesmerizing" (ahem: woot.), Jodi cut it to 4100, with suggestions for more cuts and a target of 3650. I'm now at 3747 and will try to shave off another 100 before returning it to Jodi.
As promised, it's not just dialogue, dialogue, dialogue. Somebody vomits, too.
UPDATE: Finished the cuts and edits, ending this round at 3636 words. Go me! What a remarkably kick-ass story this is!